This Page

has been moved to new address

New at the Farmers' Market: Whole Wheat Flour & Orange Juice

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Awake at the Whisk: New at the Farmers' Market: Whole Wheat Flour & Orange Juice

Saturday, February 19, 2011

 

New at the Farmers' Market: Whole Wheat Flour & Orange Juice

Organic Whole Wheat Flour
Can you cook a complete meal from the Sacramento farmers’ market? Absolutely! What about baking an entire recipe? Yes, indeed! Our market has butter, milk, and now whole wheat flour, too. Hello, locavore baked goods!

Massa Organics whole wheat flour from the Sacramento farmers' market

Having local whole wheat flour at our market is the holy grail of locavore eating. The meals you can make without ever leaving the region for ingredients! Just a few examples:


Massa Organics has been selling this flour for at least a year now, so it’s not technically “new.” But I have several friends who hadn’t yet stumbled upon this amazing market wonder, so I wanted to share the secret.

I’ve been using this flour since it hit the market, and I’m a big fan. It’s light and has proven successful in all my baking endeavors. I now prefer this flour over other quality brands sold in the supermarket.

Flour this fresh and this clean comes at a price. You’ll pay $8 for a 5 lb. bag. But it’s worth it!


Orange Juice & Blood Orange Juice
I once made it my mission to consume California oranges exclusively for my morning juice. My husband and I own an orange tree, and use every last fruit it grows to produce fresh juice during the winter months. When our harvest is over, I try to buy oranges in bulk at the market to get me through the rest of the year.

But lately, my life has been getting busier and busier. While I still juice every last orange that falls from my tree, in the off months I have been cheating occasionally, buying the oh-so-easy plastic jug at the grocery store. I hate this, because I don’t know whether the oranges come from California or someplace far away. It’s not my first choice, but I don’t always have the extra 15 minutes to make juice before I head off to work. Sigh.

Thankfully, it just keeps getting easier and easier to live la vida locavore here in California!

Freshly squeezed orange juice from Ferry Farms--now sold at the Sacramento farmers market.

Ferry Farms has taken away my guilt and provided me with a local outlet. They are now selling unpasteurized, freshly squeezed juice at our farmers’ market! Hip-hip-hooray! For conscientious, but busy gals like me there is nothing better than the feeling of grabbing a jug of juice that you know is made from local fruit.

Ferry Farms isn’t just selling the orange stuff. They’re selling blood orange juice, too. Dark with a touch of sour, the bright flavor perks up your mouth—and your mood. When mixed with a little apple juice (also purchased at the market), you’ve got a delicious morning beverage.

Thanks to our many local farmers who are doing the amazing things they do so we can eat locally!

Labels: , , , , , , ,


Comments:

Post a Comment

Whatcha think?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]